The coldest place ever recorded in Ontario is Iroquois Falls

Post Reply
User avatar
Riskynet
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 22862
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:54 am
Age: 56

The coldest place ever recorded in Ontario is Iroquois Falls

#1

Post by Riskynet » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:55 pm

The coldest place ever recorded in Ontario is Iroquois Falls at −58.3 °C (January 23, 1935)


Top Cold Spots


Alberta

-61.1 11 January 1911, Fort Vermilion

British Columbia

-58.9 31 January 1947, Smith River

Manitoba

-52.8 9 January 1899, Norway House

New Brunswick

-47.2 1 February 1955, Sisson Dam

Newfoundland and Labrador

-51.1 17 February 1973, Esker 2

Northwest Territories

-61.7 31 December 1910, Fort Good Hope

Nova Scotia

-41.1 31 January 1920, Upper Stewiacke

Nunavut

-57.8 13 February 1973, Shepherd Bay

Ontario

-58.3 23 January 1935, Iroquois Falls

Prince Edward Island

-37.2 26 January 1884, Kilmahumaig

Québec

-54.4 5 February 1923, Doucet

Saskatchewan

-56.7 1 February 1893, Prince Albert

Yukon Territory

-62.8 3 February 1947, Snag


http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/ ... in-canada/

User avatar
Budgetman
Admin
Admin
Posts: 27533
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:00 am
Gender:
Age: 45

#2

Post by Budgetman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:40 pm

people were tougher back then
[watch
ImageI say my opinion if its good bad or other, Just like you I have the right to voice it.
if you get paid minimum wage, it's like your boss saying i'd pay you less but its illegal
John Stalks me!!!!! [omg

User avatar
DenBen
VIP
VIP
Posts: 13058
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:57 pm
Gender:
Age: 44

#3

Post by DenBen » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:40 pm

Interesting that those records are decades and some even a century or more old. Some would think it's not as cold as it used to be. [poke

Any idea if all those temps are Celsius?

User avatar
Riskynet
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 22862
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:54 am
Age: 56

#4

Post by Riskynet » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:20 pm

denben73 wrote:Interesting that those records are decades and some even a century or more old. Some would think it's not as cold as it used to be. [poke

Any idea if all those temps are Celsius?

I would think they would be.

User avatar
Loco101
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 15092
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:26 am
Age: 41

#5

Post by Loco101 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:50 pm

Yes they are in Celcius.

I've always had a hard time trying to believe the Iroquois Falls record. I wonder what kind of instrumentation they were using there in 1935. I have never read any historical accounts about when it supposedly happened.

The coldest temperature reported in the province that I remember was when it went down to -50 C in Geraldton in 1996.

Glacier
starter
starter
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:05 pm

The coldest place ever recorded in Ontario is Iroquois Falls

#6

Post by Glacier » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:12 pm

Loco101 wrote:Yes they are in Celcius.

I've always had a hard time trying to believe the Iroquois Falls record. I wonder what kind of instrumentation they were using there in 1935. I have never read any historical accounts about when it supposedly happened.

The coldest temperature reported in the province that I remember was when it went down to -50 C in Geraldton in 1996.
I have been doing some research on Canadian temperature records, and I can tell you that the Iroquois Falls record is erroneous. Hopefully in a few months I will write about it on my blog, but for now, you can see my analysis of British Columbia's extreme temperature record: https://questioningthedata.wordpress.co ... -columbia/

User avatar
Loco101
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 15092
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:26 am
Age: 41

The coldest place ever recorded in Ontario is Iroquois Falls

#7

Post by Loco101 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:58 am

Glacier wrote:
Loco101 wrote:Yes they are in Celcius.

I've always had a hard time trying to believe the Iroquois Falls record. I wonder what kind of instrumentation they were using there in 1935. I have never read any historical accounts about when it supposedly happened.

The coldest temperature reported in the province that I remember was when it went down to -50 C in Geraldton in 1996.
I have been doing some research on Canadian temperature records, and I can tell you that the Iroquois Falls record is erroneous. Hopefully in a few months I will write about it on my blog, but for now, you can see my analysis of British Columbia's extreme temperature record: https://questioningthedata.wordpress.co ... -columbia/
Thanks for your response! I really hope you do write about it. I'll take a look at what you wrote about BC.

Glacier
starter
starter
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:05 pm

The coldest place ever recorded in Ontario is Iroquois Falls

#8

Post by Glacier » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:27 pm

Loco101 wrote:
Glacier wrote:Thanks for your response! I really hope you do write about it. I'll take a look at what you wrote about BC.
I was looking into some of the Canadian records last year, and noticed that a lot of them are suspicious to one degree or another. I've even started by sending Environment Canada an email over the record high from Newfoundland & Labrador, and they responded by sending a photocopy of the original sheet showing that it actually happened. There's no way that it was 41.7 in Labrador.

Having something on paper -- even when it makes no sense -- is very powerful. It takes extraordinary evidence to the contrary to overturn an "official" record. For example, the hottest temperature on earth was said to be in Libya even though it was raining that day in the Sahara desert and made no sense, it was the official record even after world renowned weather historian Burt C. Christopher questioned it for years. It was only after physical proof that there was an error did the official record get overturned.

Glacier
starter
starter
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:05 pm

The coldest place ever recorded in Ontario is Iroquois Falls

#9

Post by Glacier » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:31 pm

Oh, and I forgot to add that I'm working on the Yukon maximum record first, and was planning on moving east from there, but I will instead jump to the Ontario minimum record to satisfy this thread. I need a couple of hours of free time to conduct some research and to put blog post together. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen very often. I will aim for the beginning of July.

Glacier
starter
starter
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:05 pm

The coldest place ever recorded in Ontario is Iroquois Falls

#10

Post by Glacier » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:05 pm

On the surface of it, Ontario has hit -50C/-58F or colder 19 separate years from 1895 through 1996. It will take a while to evaluate each of those years, but I have done a quick comparison of the supposed Iroquois Falls record from 1935. Temperatures back then were recorded to the nearest degree Fahrenheit, so I will list the numbers in Fahrenheit.

1933, 1934, and 1935 were some of the top coldest winters on record, and the only time in recorded history that Ontario hit -50 three consecutive years in a row. for this exercise I'm only comparing 1934 and 1935. Doing so yields the following results:

Kapuskasing was -52 in 1934 and -49 in 1935.
Wawaitin was -52 in 1943 and -55 in 1935.
Timmins was -38 in 1934 and -37 in 1936.
Cochrane was -40 in 1934 and -44 in 1935.
Coniston was -45 in 1934 and -44 in 1935.
Iroquois Falls was -44 in 1934 and -73 in 1935.
Moose Factory was -48 in 1934 and -56 in 1935.
Heaslip was -48 in 1934 and -52 in 1935.

Conclusion: Iroquois Falls was at best -52F/46.7C in 1935. My guess is that it was closer to -45F. Maybe it was -43F, and the 4 somehow got misinterpreted as a 7. I'm no expert on the geography of your area having never been east of Kenora (which my Ontario friends tell me doesn't really count as being in Ontario). So you tell me, is it normal in the dead of winter for Iroquois Falls to be 36F/20C colder than Timmins?

Post Reply

Social Media