Eastlinks $25 Cable package

Discuss your Cable and Satellite Provider in here.
Captain Steubings
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Captain Steubings » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:18 pm

DenBen wrote: Compare Rogers, Shaw, Shaw Direct, Bell TV, Bell Fibe, Eastlink, Telus, Videotron, Cogeco, MTS and everyone else and you'll see that there isn't much variation in the $25 package.
Sure there is a difference. They are all good packages if you just like Canadian channels. If you want the US Networks then Bell and Eastlink suck.

Eastlink has American Networks on their package BUT they are on Free View until end of May, 2016 - then POOF!

Captain Steubings
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Captain Steubings » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:26 pm

With Rogers I could get all the channels i want to watch and the digital box for about $52. (Starter Pack + Drama & Comedy Theme Pack + Entertainment Theme Pack)

Those same channels plus the box from Eastlink cost about $80.00 (Entry Level Basic + Value Pack 1)

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post by DenBen » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:40 pm

I said there isn't much variation. As in, no one has A&E or AMC or Comedy Network or CNN or Discovery.

As for the choices you have for non-satellite in Timmins - Bell Aliant (NorthernTel) or EL. You get screwed either way.

I'm not sure what Pete's photo has to do with TV service since it is related to cell phone coverage.

Captain Steubings
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Captain Steubings » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:29 pm

What they really need to do is open the market. Not give one company a monopoly on Cable TV services in one city.

I can get my cell service from whomever i want - should be the same with Cable and Internet.

Though i doubt it would matter either way with the big Monopolies - they'd work together to keep the price high anyhow. And when they are forced to lower the cost on something they just raise the price on something else.

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post by DenBen » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:06 am

Actually, this "monopoly" is not real. Not real as in the sense that only one cable company can be licensed to serve a certain area. Rogers is TOTALLY free to apply for a license for Timmins, Sudbury, Windsor, Goderich, etc. They won't do that. Why? The cost involved. When EL rebuilt the Timmins network in 2009-10, it cost over $10 million and that is just a rebuild. To start from scratch in a community and build a headend, run your fibre lines to that area, and wire the town, you are probably looking at $15 million, if not more. Not only that, they actually have to pay the phone company or the other cable company to have access to the poles. ($$$$) Then you have to solicit customers and hope you can actually make a profit on that system. It's not worth the hassle for any company big or small to try and compete in a market that already has an imcumbent provider.

It would be nice to have choices, don't get me wrong....just never going to happen.

Captain Steubings
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Captain Steubings » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:32 am

"Most Canadian cities are served by only one cable company per market; in the few cities that are served by more than one cable company, each company is restricted to a specific geographical division within the market. For instance, in Hamilton, Cogeco Cable, Mountain Cablevision and Source Cable are all licensed operators, but each has a monopoly in a specific area of the city."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_of_ ... television

I remember one time London has 2 Cable providers. Rogers in half the city and Maclean-Hunter. Rogers was only able to get the full city by buying the competition.

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post by DenBen » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:45 am

Yes. I'm aware of those old deals that were made decades ago where they would make deals to not compete against each other. That's how it used to be back in the day. Those old "deals" from the 1970's are still strong.

The CRTC has no issue giving a license, the cable companies just don't bother or won't do it.

Delta B.C. has Shaw AND Delta Cable (Eastlink) covering the same location.

Customers in Timmins are actually in a better position than those in Sudbury with EL, IMO. Nothing changes if you don't want it too unlike Sudbury and most other communites across other companies that have no pricing and packaging across the board.

These "skinny" packages are for a very limited crowd. I don't know why everyone thought they were going to save money with all this. That may come from the awesome reporting of the media and the failure to accurately report it.

The fact that EL is not including the US nets is shocking. I could see Shaw and Bell doing that since they own networks but why EL?
Last edited by DenBen on Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Steubings
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Captain Steubings » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:16 pm

Captain Steubings wrote:With Rogers I could get all the channels i want to watch and the digital box for about $52. (Starter Pack + Drama & Comedy Theme Pack + Entertainment Theme Pack)

Those same channels plus the box from Eastlink cost about $80.00 (Entry Level Basic + Value Pack 1)
Actually I checked what Eastlink offers in Halifax. They have theme packs there so I could get the channels I want (same as on Rogers) for about $52 there as well.

Maybe in December when they are forced to offer the individual channels and themes it will be better in Timmins.

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post by DenBen » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:10 pm

I want to post posts from another forum that I frequent about "digital" things.

It's not that agree 100% with these comments, it is along the same way that I feel about it.

I'm curious to see what you think of our provider, Cap. Not trying to poke anything just wondering what others would say about this packaging and prices. http://www.cogeco.ca/web/on/en/residential/tv/packages/
I'm getting tired of all the negative media attention on the Skinny Basic packages - it seems the slant is that people want whatever channels they want for $25 - which is unrealistic.

I personally think the concept is great in my situation - however, the media is only focusing on outlandish customers who expect all the premium sports and specialty channels for pennies a month.

Skinny Basic is only basic TV - if you want more, you have to pay for it, or use alternative sources to get programming. It wasn't designed to cut down the cost of TV bills, it was to give a very basic entry level option that wasn't available before without having all these additional specialty channels tossed in the mix.

I am very happy with the package, and wish the media would find others like myself who are enjoying the CRTC's decision.
Its funny to see people that are saying, they compared this to their current FULL plan and to get all the same channels it costs MORE, RAGE!

Well, yeah. Its not designed just period to save people money in ALL situations. Its not for people who want TONS of channels.

Its for the people who want a very small subset of channels, without paying for the LARGER packages.

Captain Steubings
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Captain Steubings » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:32 pm

Actually your company is even better. I could get all the channels I generally watch just with the My Mix 10 - So $38 + Receiver.

Captain Steubings
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Captain Steubings » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:34 pm

Sorry AMC is an extra $2 so $40. So half what i would have to pay with Eastlink to get the same channels (and a bunch i dont want).

Social Media