La Mosaic, an authentic Montessori school

Local School Board and related Education and training issues

Riskynet

Post by Riskynet » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:40 pm

So this is in Timmins ?

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:43 pm

Yes, they just had their grand opening apparently.

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:44 pm

Schools for young pupils which offer an approach to education developed by Maria Montessori, based on allowing children to develop at their own pace with plenty of opportunity for practical and imaginative play. Montessori established her first school, the Casa dei Bambini, in Rome in 1907. She designed a series of activities and equipment to encourage the cognitive development of very young children, including scaled-down furniture (chairs, tables, cookers, dressers, prams), which are now a common feature in most primary schools, for children to teach themselves through imaginative and practical activity, problem-solving, and trial and error. This self-direction, encouraged by real tasks or apparatus, is not defined as play by Montessori, but rather geared to practical life—perhaps a reflection of her work alongside children with learning difficulties, whom she encouraged to become independent through the provision of a structured and tranquil environment.

Montessori believed that, through observation, the teacher—or, to use Montessori's term, ‘directress’—can provide a range of sequential activities or materials for the child to develop more complex concepts in the progressive development of cognition.[LEFT]
Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/montessori ... z2iOofhkHH
[/LEFT]

Loco101

Post by Loco101 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:20 pm

Private schools tend not to last in Timmins. With declining enrollments in general it is quite a risk they are taking.

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:45 am

I'm confoozed. Is it a school or "daycare" center?

JosephMcCarthy

Post by JosephMcCarthy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:49 am

$$$$ Apparentlyy twice the cost of daycare. I predict doom and gloom.
Put on your boxing gloves and step into my ring!

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:50 am

Yowsa.

Grammy
starter
starter

Post by Grammy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:58 pm

Montessori is a wonderful program that teaches our children respect, courtesy, manners and numerous skills. Expensive? Perhaps but you can't put a price on good manners & respect - something that is lacking in today's public system. Kudos to Montessori!
Warms my heart to hear a 2 1/2 year old say yes please, thank you and "I can help!" It can be taught at home but requires reinforcement daily!

Loco101

Post by Loco101 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:13 am

Grammy wrote:Montessori is a wonderful program that teaches our children respect, courtesy, manners and numerous skills. Expensive? Perhaps but you can't put a price on good manners & respect - something that is lacking in today's public system. Kudos to Montessori!
Warms my heart to hear a 2 1/2 year old say yes please, thank you and "I can help!" It can be taught at home but requires reinforcement daily!
Those things are definitely not lacking in our public system. The home environment plays a huge role in a child's behaviour and is usually the cause for problems. Normally kids from wealthier families go to Montessori and private schools and usually they have better parenting at home.

Social Media