Wal-Mart adding stores in $340M Canadian expansion

Where you buy and why?
Riskynet

Post by Riskynet » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:30 pm

Wal-Mart Stores Inc said it would invest about $340 million this fiscal year to expand in Canada, lower than what it had budgeted for last year.

Wal-Mart's move comes less than a month after rival Target Corp said it would exit Canada. Sears Holdings Corp last year lowered its stake in its Canadian operations to about 12%, after failing to find a buyer for its holding in the business.

Sales and margins at both Sears and Target have dwindled in Canada in the face of stiff competition from Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart said on Wednesday it would spend about $230 million of the planned investment to complete 29 supercentres, including the expansion of several stores to add full grocery departments.

The company is also spending to expand its distribution network and its website, walmart.ca.

Wal-Mart had planed to spend $500 million in Canada in the last fiscal year.

The newly announced supercentres, which are Wal-Mart stores with the addition of full-service supermarkets, will boost its supercentre count in Canada to 309 by the year ending January 2016.

http://www.timminstimes.com/2015/02/11/ ... -expansion

JohnW

Re: Wal-Mart adding stores in $340M Canadian expansion

Post by JohnW » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:51 pm

Oh goodie.

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post by DenBen » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:47 pm

Would it better if they were closing all their stores?

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:14 pm

I don't know. Maybe.

Brashz
2nd Level Gold
2nd Level Gold

Post by Brashz » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:47 am

I would hate to see what would happen if Walmart would close. They employ over 200 people in Timmins.

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:52 am

I doubt we have to be concerned about that happening.

MadTrapper
Beginner
Beginner

Post by MadTrapper » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:07 pm

Canadians can smell a bargain and as a Canadian I know that having the cheapest price in town is the best advertisement to get me thru a stores doors to shop.
A bunch of silly coupon gimmicks doesn't draw me like cheap prices.
Another big consideration in todays economy of high gas prices and especially in the northern communities where weather is a factor is one stop shopping.
Walmart has everything under one roof; food, hardware, drugs, sporting goods, fast food outlets, you name it.
Walmart's marketing forte is picking store locations.
They have dedicated teams of experts solely for that purpose.
Walmart has teamed up with Canadian Tire in many locations and this marketing symbiotic relationship has been immensely successful.
I can get every item on my shopping list and get the car fixed and gased without driving all over the place.
If I buy a product in one Walmart store I can take it back to any Walmart store for a refund or replacement as long as I have the receipt with no questions asked.
Selection under one roof, the cheapest prices in town and excellent customer relations - an impossible marketing combo for any competitor to beat.

Loco101

Post by Loco101 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:39 pm

I disagree about Walmart having everything under one roof. I find their selection to be lacking in many departments and they often don't restock or reorder many items in a timely fashion. I also find that they don't have the best deals. Other retailers often have better sale prices than Walmart's "Everyday Low Prices." Walmart used to be known for having the lowest prices but I've found that they've strayed away from that for many items.

I wish the Westons (Loblaws and other names) would build some superstores that would compete directly with Walmart Supercentres carrying similar items.

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:10 am

That's crazy talk !!

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post by DenBen » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:45 pm

EVERY store claims to have the lowest prices. I'd love to have ANY store in their advertising, flat out say that they aren't going to lie like everyone else about the lowest prices or something like that.

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:32 pm

They price match, don't they?

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post by DenBen » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:37 pm

God....yes.... You should get in line behind someone with 15 flyers, 85 competitor coupons and no regard for anyone else in the world. Like do you really need those 14 boxes of StoveTop???

Cabmonk
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Cabmonk » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:57 pm

Hey denben..I recently used coupons and price matching at walmart to get my total from just over $50 to $17. Or maybe I could be like you and pay full price lol. Just bugging you. :p but I could tell people behind me were getting frustrated and I apologized to cashier for taking so long. She said nah are you kidding, you did awesome. ;)

Social Media