FLOOD Watches, Warnings and Reports - tT official thread

Discuss wacky weather and other wacky stuff here
Riskynet

FLOOD Watches, Warnings and Reports - tT official thread

Post by Riskynet » Thu May 01, 2014 2:36 pm

TIMMINS - The Upper Mattagami Water Management Committee reports that the unseasonably cold weather through April has resulted in a snow pack that is deeper and contains more water than would be normally expected for this time of year.

Although the spring melt is now underway, only a small portion of the snow we received over this past winter has melted. As a result, the risk of some flooding has increased throughout the Timmins area.

Although it is too early to predict whether or not flooding will occur, area residents and businesses are asked to be prepared. These preparations would include moving any unsecured items from along the shore to higher ground as well as preparing a household emergency plan that outlines what you need to do should you be asked to leave your home.

Forecasts issued by Environment Canada indicate that the weather will remain damp for at least the next week along with temperatures somewhat below normal. Warm days and cool nights will go a long way in reducing the flood risk.

The committee will continue to monitor the situation on a daily basis and issue updates as more information is made available.

City residents, especially children, are cautioned against venturing out on lakes, rivers and small streams. Thin ice, slippery stream banks, dangerous currents and fast moving cold water will make all waterways very hazardous.

Residents can visit the MRCA website at Mattagami Region Conservation Authority - for the latest information on watershed conditions and public advisories.

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Thu May 01, 2014 2:41 pm

[2run

Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post by Budgetman » Thu May 01, 2014 2:47 pm

[aah its not as bad as this may contain french swears, viewer discretion is advised Ice Moves Breaks Bridge In Canada - YouTube
[watch
Image I say my opinion if its good bad or other, Just like you I have the right to voice it.
if you get paid minimum wage, it's like your boss saying i'd pay you less but its illegal
John Stalks me!!!!! [panic

Riskynet

Post by Riskynet » Mon May 05, 2014 8:15 pm

Flood watch for Mattagami River

TIMMINS - The Upper Mattagami River Water Management Committee has issued a flood watch for the Mattagami watershed.

The committee reports that the most recent stream flow information for the Mattagami River watershed shows many of the area rivers and streams are still rising in elevation in response to the continuing warm weather and associated snow melt. All indications are that the runoff from the spring melt has yet to reach its peak.

A flood watch message serves as notification to the general public that the potential for flooding exists.

On the Mattagami River system water elevations are continuing to rise and could reach the critical first stage flood level over the coming days. Residents at this point in time can expect some flooding of low lying areas.

The Porcupine Lake area, where water levels have started to recede slowly, is not under a flood watch. However, the warmer temperatures predicted for the next several days could change this situation.

Local area creeks such as Town Creek and Crawford Creek are in good shape and no problems are foreseen. Water levels on Kamiskotia Lake also continue to rise in response to the melting snow pack.

City residents living near lakes and rivers are reminded to remove unsecured material and equipment from shoreline areas as water elevations continue to rise. They should also be prepared with a household emergency plan should a flood emergency be declared.

Parents are again asked to let their children know about the dangers of playing in and around lakes and streams. Ice conditions are deteriorating quickly and the water is very cold.

The Water Management Committee will continue to meet on a regular basis to review watershed conditions and forecasts. Further updates will be issued in the coming days.

For more information, contact the Mattagami Water Management Committee at 360-2660.

Flood watch for Mattagami River | Timmins Press

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Mon May 05, 2014 8:19 pm

Where do we go to watch? Is there an entry fee?

Riskynet

Post by Riskynet » Mon May 05, 2014 8:44 pm

JohnW wrote:Where do we go to watch? Is there an entry fee?
I'm sure they will have all the information you need....

For more information, contact the Mattagami Water Management Committee at 360-2660. [snicker

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Mon May 05, 2014 8:52 pm

TY......

FrancoFun

Post by FrancoFun » Tue May 06, 2014 8:24 am

JohnW wrote:Where do we go to watch? Is there an entry fee?
The bleachers are set up in Participark to make your flood watch more comfortable.

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Tue May 06, 2014 8:31 am

[2yes

Riskynet

Post by Riskynet » Tue May 06, 2014 9:03 am

FrancoFun wrote:The bleachers are set up in Participark to make your flood watch more comfortable.

[1laff Hey those bleachers, did the rust or graffiti artist get to them yet ?

FrancoFun

Post by FrancoFun » Tue May 06, 2014 1:23 pm

Riskynet wrote: [1laff Hey those bleachers, did the rust or graffiti artist get to them yet ?
No, but with the river rising, we may find out shortly if they float.

Loco101

Post by Loco101 » Wed May 07, 2014 12:20 am

Water levels aren't really that high for this time of year. And there is not much snow left.

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Wed May 07, 2014 7:59 am

MNR says otherwise. [fist

Kramer
Donator
Donator

Post by Kramer » Wed May 07, 2014 8:04 am

Loco101 wrote:Water levels aren't really that high for this time of year. And there is not much snow left.
Are you kidding me? Was out at Gibson lake the other day. Huge amounts of snow in the woods. The shaded areas have banks sometimes 1 feet high.

FrancoFun

Post by FrancoFun » Wed May 07, 2014 8:48 am

Loco101 wrote:Water levels aren't really that high for this time of year. And there is not much snow left.
I believe the facts would contradict both statements.

Peak flows are approximately two weeks later than mean this spring. Water content in the snow is currently 200-400% above normal for this time of year... depending on which snow survey location you're looking at.

With that being said, the City of Timmins will not experience any flooding this spring from the Mattagami River.

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Wed May 07, 2014 9:18 am

I'm confoozed. Do I need sand bags or not?

Loco101

Post by Loco101 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:45 pm

Kramer wrote:Are you kidding me? Was out at Gibson lake the other day. Huge amounts of snow in the woods. The shaded areas have banks sometimes 1 feet high.
[bol
1 feet high banks!!

Kramer
Donator
Donator

Post by Kramer » Wed May 07, 2014 1:48 pm

How high are they in your yard?

Loco101

Post by Loco101 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:51 pm

I have one pile of snow left in the backyard that is now only a few inches high.

Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post by Budgetman » Wed May 07, 2014 4:32 pm

i have no snow, and there was no flooding from the melting snow in either my driveway or my backyard like normal years
[watch
Image I say my opinion if its good bad or other, Just like you I have the right to voice it.
if you get paid minimum wage, it's like your boss saying i'd pay you less but its illegal

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Wed May 07, 2014 5:06 pm

I still have snow in my backyard, the guy across the street has some in his front yard. Shady areas.

Loco101

Post by Loco101 » Wed May 07, 2014 6:13 pm

Budgetman wrote:i have no snow, and there was no flooding from the melting snow in either my driveway or my backyard like normal years
We often have a flood in our backyard when the snow melts but the ground is still frozen. This year it melted so slowly that there were no problems at all.

Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post by Budgetman » Wed May 07, 2014 6:15 pm

there is still some snow in my yard, my yard is so deep i don't really look at it all, i could have a homeless person trapped back there and i wouldn't know it, until fall
[watch

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post by DenBen » Wed May 07, 2014 6:16 pm

My yard is 100% snow free. Also the city swept our street yesterday. [woohoo

Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post by Budgetman » Wed May 07, 2014 6:17 pm

i wish public works would fix potholes before street sweeping.
[watch

Social Media