Timmins Transit ~ Calling the stops

Transit topics
JohnW

Timmins Transit ~ Calling the stops

Post by JohnW » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:11 pm

I happened to take a bus ride today and was I hearing things when the stops were called out in a man's voice with a women driver.

Do they have some recorded system calling the stops now?

[huh

Foto_Gal
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Foto_Gal » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:43 pm

Speaking of buses, the 'big blue' one was in our area, and I noticed everytime it pulled away from a stop, (and I seen it at least 3 times) there was a bigger burst of exhaust coming from it... phew!! Literally a cloud of blue/grey smoke!! Haven't noticed it this bad on others..
thats all!!
[font=Book Antiqua]I'm a Happy Snapper!![/font]

[center][font=Georgia]Please use caution when submitting posts in which you name names.[/font][/center]

[center][font=Georgia]False or misleading information can lead to legal issues and any posts that are not backed up with facts will likely be deleted for everyones protection.[/font][/center]

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:36 pm

meh

Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post by Budgetman » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:06 pm

i think it just needs a cleaning or had bad diesel, it happens on older buses
[watch
ImageI say my opinion if its good bad or other, Just like you I have the right to voice it.
if you get paid minimum wage, it's like your boss saying i'd pay you less but its illegal
John Stalks me!!!!! [omg

Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post by Budgetman » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:08 pm

you should have seen the exhaust on the OLD Orion III not to be mistaken for the OrionI's timmins hadImage
exaust came out the side of the left tween the wheels nasty nasty
[watch
ImageI say my opinion if its good bad or other, Just like you I have the right to voice it.
if you get paid minimum wage, it's like your boss saying i'd pay you less but its illegal
John Stalks me!!!!! [omg

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:21 pm

What about my question? :(

Kegan

Post by Kegan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:42 pm

[font=Comic Sans MS]Don't know Burnsie.......but now that you mention it........ Can't really hear on most buses anyway.........could be Donald Duck for all I know. Am heading downtown tomorrow - will check it out.[/font]

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:02 pm

It was odd, cause I watched the driver in the mirror and it wasn't her calling the stops.

Kegan

Post by Kegan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:15 am

[font=Arial]If that's in fact the case......I have some questions.[/font]
[font=Arial][/font]
[font=Arial]Wouldn't they have to make seperate recordings of all the routes since the same bus isn't always on the same route..[/font]
[font=Arial][/font]
[font=Arial]Do all the buses have 'sound systems'[/font]
[font=Arial][/font]
[font=Arial]Wouldn't the drivers have to manually control/flick on the recording each time since there's no way the buses are at the stops the same time each run and....if they forget to flick on for one stop, wouldn't that throw everything off.[/font]
[font=Arial][/font]
[font=Arial]Seems like a lot of work......I would think that they should be concentrating on driving rather than flicking a recording on and off.[/font]
[font=Arial][/font]
[font=Arial]Just curious......[/font]

Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post by Budgetman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:46 am

maybe the joyrider was calling them, been seeing him on the SP buses lately
[watch
John Stalks me!!!!! [omg

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:21 am

Well it had me baffled, I must know the answer. [fist

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:22 am

P.S. You up late or get up early?

Sweetthing
Expert Level
Expert Level

Post by Sweetthing » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:21 pm

Maybe it was a woman in a mans body?? ROFLMAO
As for the joyrider??? Yep I've seen him too..
We all know who you are buddy...
Same name as a nintendo guy.. hehehe

Kegan

Post by Kegan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:53 pm

[font=Comic Sans MS]Well, I didn't get an answer for you yet Burnsie.....took the bus downtown this morning, female driver and she was announcing the stops. Will try again tomorrow.[/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]P.S.....Did you finally figure out who the short blond was who was waving at you today?? And she even spoke. [snicker [hello [/font]

Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post by Budgetman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:55 pm

Mr. Burns wrote:P.S. You up late or get up early?
mid morning dryspell needed koolaid and aspirin
[watch
John Stalks me!!!!! [omg

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:55 pm

Kegan wrote:[font=Comic Sans MS]Well, I didn't get an answer for you yet Burnsie.....took the bus downtown this morning, female driver and she was announcing the stops. Will try again tomorrow.[/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]P.S.....Did you finally figure out who the short blond was who was waving at you today?? And she even spoke. [snicker [hello [/font]
I waved back.

Kegan

Post by Kegan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:59 pm

[font=Arial]Yes you did!!!!! [yahoo [/font]

Sweetthing
Expert Level
Expert Level

Post by Sweetthing » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:38 pm

So I found out tonight Burnsie why you heard a mans voice when a woman was driving.. Seems the drivers are pre recording their stops on mp3 players and placing the mp3s over the mikes... They just push the button and it announces the stop..LOL Talk about lazy..

digger
2nd Level Gold
2nd Level Gold

Post by digger » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:21 pm

Can you say smart, do you think you could remember every stop on all runs, far from lazy

Sweetthing
Expert Level
Expert Level

Post by Sweetthing » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:57 pm

Trust me..it's lazy.. How much effort or energy does it take to push a button?? sheesh..

Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post by Budgetman » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:59 pm

its easier to speak the stops than run a mp3 player and drive... SAFETY first.. So i think drivers should be banned to use mp3 players for this purpose... and Its not that hard to remember all the stops on your run AS long as you keep your drivers on the same runs day after day. what pisses me off in this town is the way they send driver a on every run, set up runs and permanently place drivers on it... and the ones that are able to remember more than one run put them as spares.meaning they can do any run when necessary
[watch
John Stalks me!!!!! [omg

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:41 pm

digger wrote:Can you say smart, do you think you could remember every stop on all runs, far from lazy
I gotta agree with you here digger, excellent idea!!

digger
2nd Level Gold
2nd Level Gold

Post by digger » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:48 pm

I know u once worked there with all the changes in routes its much safer to use an mp3 then to read of a paper until you
know them all by heart I dont know how many runs they do but I know they dont stay on the same one all the time, beside
that would be very boring always driving the same route

Kegan

Post by Kegan » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:19 pm

[font=Arial]While I can appreciate this new law...whatever the drivers do to adhere to this law and still maintain safety..I'm all for it. And let's face it... with the noise of our buses, combined with bouncing around on our crappy roads.... the majority of the time you can't hear them anyway.[/font]

[font=Arial]Now while we're on the subject....a couple of incidents happened on my bus - I'd be curious for feedback.[/font]

[font=Arial]A couple of weeks ago I caught my bus (Power and Joseph). Waiting with me were two women.. one older one younger and a baby stroller. It was one of those big ones with the baby carrier that you could attach to the top. Obviously the baby was in the carrier but was all covered with hoods and flaps - couldn't see her. The bus pulled up.....the older woman tilted the stroller forward to get it on the bus. Younger woman yelled "She's falling". The baby had slid thru the carrier and falling out the bottom. Older woman was trying to get thru all the covers... younger woman caught the baby as she was sliding out. As they got on the bus....younger woman said "Don't they lower these buses". I was right behind.....and said "She would have fallen anyway" The bus driver said to me "It was my fault". Maybe......but I disagree. The baby was held right up to the terminal. Not hurt.....a little frightened. So I could see the baby was no more than 2 months old..very tiny. Either she wasn't strapped in to the carrier or was too small for it. They transferred to the SP bus...which was bigger and didn't lower....so if the baby hadn't slid on my bus....she sure would have on the SP bus. My opinion.....not the drivers fault. Those carriers weren't built to tip forward. [/font]

[font=Arial]Today - got on the same bus....#90 - Nova. It's one of those buses that have the two small, very high seats facing forward right behind the driver, then a storage or wheel well (I don't know) right behind that, then sideway seats. As I got on the driver turned behind her to those two seats and said "Are you sure she's not going to fall". There were two young children, ages maybe 4 -boy and 3 - girl. The girl was on the outside seat, sleeping. Mom was sitting a good 4 feet back in the sideways seat. Mom said - "She'll be fine". Fortunately they got off at the next stop (Joseph and Gatineau). You could tell the driver was being very carefull going around the corner. I think if they had gone any further the driver would have asked Mom to put the kids beside her. After they got off, the driver looked at us in the mirror and said......"That was really nerve wracking.[/font]

[font=Arial]When are parents going to watch/take responsibility for the kids on the bus. [/font]

[font=Arial]Remember last spring when a local mother went on CTV news here and was bitching because she was on the bus with her young daughter, the bus had to make a sudden stop and the child went flying. Nothing serious- some scratches and bumps. Why the hell wasn't she watching/hanging on to her child!![/font]

[font=Arial]Stuff like that REALLY pisses me off.[/font]

Sweetthing
Expert Level
Expert Level

Post by Sweetthing » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:19 pm

Digger must be a regular on every run..
Heck they manage in TO.. tell me they can't manage a small place like Timmins..
And if they can't remember their runs they should not be driving buses...

Social Media