Seriously?

Specific problems about your city neighbourhood.
Forum rules
Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Seriously?

Post #1 by Budgetman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:39 am

That section of the highway by The car dealer/jiffy lube, 3rd time in x amount of years that water main has broken. On the way home tonight i saw that its spitting out water again. I am going to give some free consulting to the city with my next sentence. Contract out watermain repairs. It doesn't seem like the bunch at public works can do this job without it breaking sometime later, I am pretty sure spruce has been dug up at least twice BOTH sides of Spruce North and South this year.. Algonquin has had the section by the animal hospital done at least three times.
[watch
Image I say my opinion if its good bad or other, Just like you I have the right to voice it.
if you get paid minimum wage, it's like your boss saying i'd pay you less but its illegal
John Stalks me!!!!! [panic

JohnW

Post #2 by JohnW » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:36 am

First, tell us how to change a bathroom faucet cartridge.

FrancoFun

Post #3 by FrancoFun » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:39 am

The problem isn't the workmanship. The problem is the entire line needs to be replaced, but the City hasn't budgeted money for watermain replacements. They continue to patch a line past its service life, only to have it burst somewhere else.

Instead of tourism plans, housing plans and culture plans, this City should have invested time into developing an infrastructure plan that would set out priorities and a ten year schedule to replace aging infrastructure instead of just sitting back and waiting for something to break and then patching it up.

Can I hear an Amen?!?

JohnW

Post #4 by JohnW » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:41 am

Oh fo sho. Although I don't think the money budgeted for toursim would go very far in replacing old watermains.

Riskynet

Post #5 by Riskynet » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:10 am

It would help.....5 million from the Shania Building sale would of helped big time.
Near North Photography

[b][url]https://www.facebook.com/nearnorthphotography[/url][/b]

Kramer
Donator
Donator

Post #6 by Kramer » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:12 am

[quote="FrancoFun"]
Instead of tourism plans, housing plans and culture plans,
[/quote]

But tourism money and plans are ear-marked for events such as the kayak festival that you support!

FrancoFun

Post #7 by FrancoFun » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:55 am

[quote="Kramer"]But tourism money and plans are ear-marked for events such as the kayak festival that you support![/quote]

How does supporting an event imply that I support paying external consultants hundreds of thousands of dollars to write plans telling us we need more affordable housing or telling us where to place statues?

The City would save money in the long run by being proactive instead of reactive.

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post #8 by DenBen » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:08 pm

I drove by the area he mentioned this morning. I saw puddles....that's it. No water spitting, bubbling or running down the street. Are you sure your eyes weren't playing tricks on you?

JohnW

Post #9 by JohnW » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:34 pm

[quote="Riskynet"]It would help.....5 million from the Shania Building sale would of helped big time.[/quote]
It would help, not sure about "big time" considering it's costing 70K to build a set of steps at City Hall.

Riskynet

Post #10 by Riskynet » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:46 pm

Talking about steps, are they done redoing these steps yet or is this an all summer project ?
Near North Photography

Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post #11 by Budgetman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:49 pm

[quote="DenBen"]I drove by the area he mentioned this morning. I saw puddles....that's it. No water spitting, bubbling or running down the street. Are you sure your eyes weren't playing tricks on you?[/quote]

they probably shut it off by the time you got there. it was running down the street at midnight.
[watch
Image I say my opinion if its good bad or other, Just like you I have the right to voice it.
if you get paid minimum wage, it's like your boss saying i'd pay you less but its illegal

Kramer
Donator
Donator

Post #12 by Kramer » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:50 pm

[quote="Riskynet"]Talking about steps, are they done redoing these steps yet or is this an all summer project ?[/quote]

They are on their 2nd attempt. They had to start over.

Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post #13 by Budgetman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:43 pm

[doh
[watch

Riskynet

Re: Seriously?

Post #14 by Riskynet » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:48 pm

[b][size=150]Weather delays repairs to steps at City Hall[/size][/b]

[img]http://storage.timminspress.com/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1297597852193_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x&stmp=1408736054557[/img]

[b]TIMMINS[/b] - The new front steps at Timmins City Hall should be ready by the middle of next week, weather permitting.

“That's been the whole issue all along,” said city building manager Glenn Thurston.

The rebuilding of the steps began nearly two months ago and work was expected to be completed by the end of July, said Thurston.

The delay had nothing to do with the fact the steps were built with a unique feature – they're electrically heated. A heating device built into the steps can be activated in freezing weather to prevent ice and snow from building up.

Thurston said the cost is minimal, about the same price as operating an electrical heat register in a family home.

Thurston said the unseasonably wet summer contributed to the building delay.

“Well you know out of the last 60 days, at least 30 of them have been rain,” said Thurston. “So yes, weather has played a part in the delay.

“The contractor hasn't been happy about it at all. He wanted the best weather for pouring the concrete.”

The steps are now poured and the concrete is hardening. The next step will be adding steel handrails for safety, he explained.

Thurston said that temporary rails will be installed for a brief period so that the proper measurements can be made for the custom made stainless steel rails.

Also, interlocking bricks have been installed at the base of the steps. Thurston said he is hoping the new steps will be ready next week so that the front doors of city hall can be opened for the public.

Thurston said he believes the new steps will eventually prove to be a cost-effective and worthwhile way of keeping the city hall steps safe and free from ice.

The cost of the repair job itself was included in the city's capital budget for 2014 and the estimate was $120,000. The estimate was planned in 2013 and was based on consultations with contractors. When the job went out to tender earlier this year, several bids came back lower than expected.

Norwin Contracting of Timmins was the winning bid, at $68,950 — roughly 58% of the original cost estimate.

Thurston said he was pleased to see the low bid, which is the one that council approved earlier this year.

http://www.timminspress.com/2014/08/22/weather-delays-repairs-to-steps-at-city-hall
Near North Photography

Social Media

Return to “Needs Fixing.........”