Got a pet peeve regarding Waste Disposal Scales?

Specific problems about your city neighbourhood.
Forum rules
JohnW

Got a pet peeve regarding Waste Disposal Scales?

Post #1 by JohnW » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:40 pm

Post it here ...

JosephMcCarthy

Post #2 by JosephMcCarthy » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:10 pm

I was just there... no gripes from me.
Put on your boxing gloves and step into my ring!

JohnW

Post #3 by JohnW » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:20 pm

Did you enjoy the wait?

janisjuris

Post #4 by janisjuris » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:23 pm

Used to scales at the Pickering Transfer site- eventually they will get it running right and a little speedier.

JosephMcCarthy

Post #5 by JosephMcCarthy » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:27 am

I've used the scales about 10 times in the last month.. never had to wait more than a minute going in... 2 minutes coming out... usually using it after 4 on a weekday or during weekends.
Put on your boxing gloves and step into my ring!

JohnW

Post #6 by JohnW » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:49 am

What is the purpose of these scales again?

Loco101

Post #7 by Loco101 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:43 pm

To see the actual weight of the garbage being dumped. I haven't had any problems when I've gone. It's kinda cool because you get to see how much your car weighs.

JohnW

Post #8 by JohnW » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:06 pm

[lol

Why do they need to know how much our garbage weighs?

Kegan

Post #9 by Kegan » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:21 pm

[font=Arial][color=navy]Isn't it because over a certain weight one has to pay a fee for dumping........just guessing here.[/color][/font]

Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post #10 by Budgetman » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:23 pm

now THATS funny [img]http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p422/uvgrafx/presidentgriffin.gif[/img]
[watch
Image I say my opinion if its good bad or other, Just like you I have the right to voice it.
if you get paid minimum wage, it's like your boss saying i'd pay you less but its illegal
John Stalks me!!!!! [panic

janisjuris

Post #11 by janisjuris » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:02 pm

They are also trying to track the total diverted from the landfill to recycling- different government incentives and goals involved. This way, they can actually make the disposal companies pay for what they are dumping as opposed to letting them dump at a standard flat rate.

JohnW

Post #12 by JohnW » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:59 pm

Wouldn't volume be more important than weight?

janisjuris

Post #13 by janisjuris » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:23 pm

Volumes of things like foam, insulation etc. aren't important as can be compressed. Weight is a better measure of waste. One thing not being considered is the nature of the waste- drywall, concrete, soil etc. is non-toxic, relatively safe. In Pickering, (a town known for its mega landfill site- mostly Toronto trash) all toxic waste, all tires, all batteries, all paint, all used oil, all glass etc. could be dropped of for free at the site- subject to a 500 Kilogram daily limit per household. Their recycling program was 80-90% effective. Every school field trip to the local parks, conservation areas etc. stressed the need for use of recycleable packaging etc. Tupperware was the most popular form of wrapper/container at all levels of school for lunch packaging. In Timmins, you pay $5.00 per tire to dispose of them- most used tires end up in the bush and the city pays more than $5 to retrieve and then recycle them. Used paint and used car oil gets poured down the nearest sewer as the city will not pick them up unless it is during the $75,000 recycling day they have set up. Priorities have to be rethought.

Sweetthing
Expert Level
Expert Level

Post #14 by Sweetthing » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:51 pm

I hope people are smart enough to get out of their vehicles when your vehicle is on that weigh scale.. Cuz for me??? It would weigh 140 pounds less LOL.. WE aren't trash afterall..LOL

JohnW

Post #15 by JohnW » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:59 pm

Not to worry, they weigh you on the way out too ...

Red Squirrel

Post #16 by Red Squirrel » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:38 pm

They just calculate the difference of in and out. What's funny is all the times I've went was to throw a bunch of cardboard in the recycle bins but at same time I'd bring 1-2 garbage bags while I'm there. 2 garbage bags hardly weight enough to make the scale move so they often suspect I'm stealing stuff. (I never realized it was possible to steal from a dump).

All the times I've been it's been pretty speedy even on a Saturday. They do need to have more recycling facilities though. Stuff like lamps that contain mercury should not go straight to the regular pile... but here they do. But guess the percentage per overall volume is not big enough for it to be worth it.

JohnW

Post #17 by JohnW » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:03 pm

Oh my nooo. Don't take anything out. The employees want it.

Social Media

Return to “Needs Fixing.........”