Strollers block bus aisles

Specific problems about your city neighbourhood.
Forum rules
janisjuris

Strollers block bus aisles

Post #1 by janisjuris » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:07 am

[url=http://www.timminspress.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2716127]Strollers block bus aisles - Timmins Daily Press - Ontario, CA[/url]

[b] Strollers block bus aisles [/b]

[b]Posted By [/b]

[b]Posted 1 hour ago[/b]

There should be a new sign on the side of our Timmins Transit buses ... "Enter at your own risk!"

I'm talking about getting on the bus and having to run the obstacle course created by baby strollers which are always parked right at the front of the bus.

Strollers these days are made so big they could probably house a small country.

Add to that, toy bags, food bags, parcels and the like, they take up the whole aisle. Why, whenever possible, can't these strollers go to the back of the bus?

I recently boarded the No. 37 bus at the Transit Terminal.

By the time I got on, there were three strollers and one child-sized two-wheel bike, all parked at the front.

The back half was empty and being one of the bigger buses could have easily accommodated the strollers, but not one of them was willing to move, taking up seats that by the way, are reserved for the elderly and handicapped, (out of courtesy) as clearly stated on the signs posted.

There was such a jam up of people at the front, I asked the driver why couldn't the strollers be moved to the back of the bus as there was plenty of room.

She told me that she didn't have the authority to do that.

Really?

janisjuris

Post #2 by janisjuris » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:25 am

Geez, some of these seniors really get Fiesty in their old age!

Captain Steubings
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post #3 by Captain Steubings » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:41 am

I think the reason they can't go to the back is due to the way buses are made now and the way they are configured in Timmins. The aisles are narrow - so if you stick a stroller further back then they block the entire aisle - at least at the front there is some space. When my son was in a stroller we lived in London so it was easier to sit at the back since the seating at the back was similar to the way it is at the front, also on the left side of the bus they had single seats so the aisles were wider - see image (though some of the buses had stairs in the back).

PS

remind me to send a complaint to the newspaper if/when she gets a wheelchair and its at the front of the bus - and I have to wait longer while she gets on and off (though she has the option of para-transit or whatever its called here, parents don't!) ...

[img]http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/6311/bustt.jpg[/img]

janisjuris

Post #4 by janisjuris » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:50 am

[quote="Captain Steubings"]I think the reason they can't go to the back is due to the way buses are made now and the way they are configured in Timmins. The aisles are narrow - so if you stick a stroller further back then they block the entire aisle - at least at the front there is some space. When my son was in a stroller we lived in London so it was easier to sit at the back since the seating at the back was similar to the way it is at the front, also on the left side of the bus they had single seats so the aisles were wider (though some buses had stair in the back).

PS

remind me to send a complaint to the newspaper if/when she gets a wheelchair and its at the front of the bus - and I have to wait longer while she gets on and off ...[/quote]

We're paying a fortune for the new buses that do have provisions for handicapped riders (special seating that can accommodate wheelchairs, special hydraulics etc.) so we may as well use them properly. I have no objections to strollers, bikes are a different matter. Strollers are collapsible and they should be collapsed when being brought on or off the bus and stored properly, not in the middle of the aisle. The ex and I did use both Public Transit and Go Transit in the Toronto area with three kids and up to two strollers without causing any inconvenience to the rest of the riders.

Kegan

Post #5 by Kegan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:24 pm

[font=Arial]Agreed Jan....some of these Seniors....Geez!! Take up knitting or something![/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]By the way, here is the rest of the letter.[/font]

"So drivers don't have the authority to ensure the safety of passengers on their buses? Isn't that special?

I've seen seniors (myself included) and people with canes having a very difficult time trying to climb over these strollers to get to a seat.

And sometimes left standing. There were empty seats, but because

these strollers take up at least three seats, nobody could get to them.

It's an accident waiting to happen. I'm not the only one who has expressed

these concerns.

I've heard several of my fellow passengers complaining about the same thing. Now before the mothers of Timmins converge on my home with tar and feathers, with all due respect, they certainly do have the right to be out and about with their children, but they don't have the right to create a potentially dangerous hazard for other people on the bus.

It's time Timmins Transit addressed this situation before someone gets hurt. "

[font=Arial]Captain.....if you read the letter again, it states...."Why, whenever possible, can't these strollers go to the back of the bus".[/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]Sometimes it's not possible because of narrow aisles and raised backs, but it's also not right to have two or three strollers blocking the aisle at the front.[/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]Jan is right....some of the buses have the hydraulic ramps and flip up front seats to accomodate wheel chairs. Not a damn thing wrong with that and they are not blocking the aisle.[/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]For your info....the Handi Trans has to be booked at least two weeks in advance and is expensive.[/font]

Captain Steubings
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post #6 by Captain Steubings » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:45 pm

well another idea - if a wheel chair got on the people at the front would move. how about they also move if a stroller got on so the parent could raise the seat. (sometimes they do but generally this is not the case)

Captain Steubings
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post #7 by Captain Steubings » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:50 pm

expensive? is their a hidden fee? cause on the website it shows it like 50 cents more

[b]Fares[/b]

Cash Fare / 20-Ride Pass (Effective July 2, 2010)

[list]
  • [*] Adult $2.75 / $55.00

• [*] Child (age 4 and over) $2.75 / $45.00

• [*] Student (Elementary and Secondary) $2.75 / $45.00

• [*] Senior Citizen (age 65 and over) $2.75 / $40.00
  • [/list]

Trips may be booked up to one week in advance.

Kegan

Post #8 by Kegan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:21 pm

[quote="Captain Steubings"]well another idea - if a wheel chair got on the people at the front would move. how about they also move if a stroller got on so the parent could raise the seat. (sometimes they do but generally this is not the case)[/quote]
    [font=Arial]Agree. I've seen mothers raise these seat when available and park the stroller out of the way. I've also seen bus drivers ask passengers to move so this could happen and it hasn't been a problem. But it's hit and miss.[/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]There's no easy solution to this, but when there are two and three strollers blocking the aisle, it's a real hazard and Timmins Transit needs to grow a pair and look into it.[/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]The Handi Trans must have changed their rules. A few years ago before my late brother went into long term care, and was in a wheel chair, I looked into using this service. At that time it was booking two weeks in advance and around $20/trip.[/font]

[font=Arial][/font]

[font=Arial]I stand corrected.[/font]

Kegan

Post #9 by Kegan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:46 pm

[font=Arial]FYI.....just took the bus back from the Square. It was #37 Route and the #60 bus. More than enough room all the way to the back to accomodate a stroller.[/font]

Budgetman
    Admin
    Admin

Post #10 by Budgetman » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:19 pm

#60 is a TRUE low floor one off the last orions, the new novas are built to cram the people in not necessarily the handis or strollers... the novas in my eyes are skirting the issue of the real reason we have to have low floor buses
    [watch
    Image I say my opinion if its good bad or other, Just like you I have the right to voice it.
    if you get paid minimum wage, it's like your boss saying i'd pay you less but its illegal
    John Stalks me!!!!! [panic

Kegan

Post #11 by Kegan » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:12 pm

[font=Arial]For the record, here are two items from City of Timmins Bylaw 2004-6063 which deals with the rules and regulations for Timmins Transit.[/font]

[i]28. No person shall bring bicycles, skis, sleds, toboggans and other large objects likely to inconvenience or jeopardize the safety of other passengers onto any vehicle of the Transit system during an emergency, or at any time that vehicles are heavily loaded.[/i]

[i]29. Strollers, baby carriages, shopping carts or similar devices must be kept under complete control by the person boarding with said devices, and must not jeopardize the safety of other passengers onto any vehicle of the Transit system[/i]

Captain Steubings
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post #12 by Captain Steubings » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:04 pm

just looking around about the issue in other cities:

[url=http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2010/02/25/ottawa-stroller-bus-council.html]CBC News - Ottawa - Stroller rules for buses rejected in Ottawa[/url]

----

The city of Burnaby's Coast Mountain Bus Company placed a maximum size limit of 48 inches long, 23.6 inches wide (122 cm long, 60 cm wide) on strollers.

-----

Guelph:

Strollers and shopping carts are allowed on the bus without having to be folded. Passengers may board a bus without folding up strollers or bundle buggies, but it is the responsibility of passengers to ensure that strollers and/or bundle buggies do not interfere with the safety or comfort of other passengers.

-----

though i don't think transit systems make too many issues regarding strollers because I am sure there is someone out there (if it hasn't been tried already) will make a complaint to the human rights commission (or whatever its called)

"Barriers to public transit services raise important human rights issues. For

persons with disabilities, older persons, and families with young children, the lack

of adequate, dignified1, and accessible transportation can pose major barriers to

participation in employment, education, and community activities. Many of the

most vulnerable citizens of Ontario cannot assume access to public

transportation, even though the Ontario Human Rights Code guarantees the right

to equal treatment in services, including public transportation services, without

discrimination because of age, handicap, or family status."

janisjuris

Post #13 by janisjuris » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:42 pm

Great post there Captain^

A lot of research there(More than two websites to me is a lot of research)

Red Squirrel

Post #14 by Red Squirrel » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:28 pm

If people want to bring strollers on a bus, they should use the smaller ones that can fit on a single seat or between the legs. Is it really necessary to use a stroller that is the size of an army tank?
    [img]http://www.iceteks.com/misc/sig/redsquirrel.jpg[/img]

Captain Steubings
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post #15 by Captain Steubings » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:32 pm

though i agree with that - some of the sidewalks in this city, even when the weather is good, require those giant monster truck wheeled strollers :p

Sweetthing
    Expert Level
    Expert Level

Post #16 by Sweetthing » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:52 pm

Those big strollers are called Quinnys..LOL .. My daughter has one and she places the little one in one stroller and the older on in the other.. but if we are walking side by side on the sidewalk we walk the Quinny (monster truck) off the side of the sidewalk and I walk the other on the sidewalk.. If someone is heading our way or close behind us.. we do move over to allow them to go by..as she and I are both the same..We hate having someone walking close behind us.. ROFLMAO... We take the bus only one stroller and the baby goes in a carrier strapped to her mommy.. I used to bring both my kids on the bus from the time they were born..My son and daughter are only 12 months apart so when my daughter was born I had her in the carrier and my son in the umbrella stroller.. Back then you were required to take the children out of the stroller or sit at the back.. It was doable.. I agree.. strollers should not be blocking the aisles or allowed 2 or 3 at the front.. sit at the back.. Kegan did you contact Catherine at transit?? She will deal with this I"m sure..

Social Media

Return to “Needs Fixing.........”