Windows 10 will be free for Windows 7 and 8 users.

Discuss Computer/Internet Topics/Cellphone Tech
Forum rules
DenBen
VIP
VIP

Re: Windows 10 will be free for Windows 7 and 8 users.

Post #26 by DenBen » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:42 pm

Most updates get installed in the background since it will recommend to allow windows to automatically install critical updates and most folks just go with the default settings.

Windows 7 is still an excellent OS.

The vast majority of PCs that I've run across that have never been updated are usually full of malware, corrupted parts of Windows (incomplete Control Panel items, System Properties missing tabs and info, Task manager and MSconfig missing), a dozen or so toolbars in IE (and some in FF and Chrome now that they are more popular) Extremely sluggish performance.

You do know Microsoft is a FOR PROFIT company right? How is it gouging? You got XP for $100 to $150 and you expect them to take care of that forever?

MadTrapper
Beginner
Beginner

Re: change for the sake of "change" (pocket change that is)

Post #27 by MadTrapper » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:37 pm

Again necessity driven or profit driven?

I think we know the answer to that?

The old marketing bait & switch trick.

They bait with free stuff that we all know has a buried 3-barbed hook.

(sarcasm on)I think I'll grab a copy of Windows 10.

I'd hate to think the Microsoft executives are laying awake nights worrying about the security of my files.(sarcasm off)

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post #28 by DenBen » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:48 pm

I don't know what they ever did to you, but you sure have quite the axe to grind with MS.

It's your choice. Just don't blame them when you have problems or when your pc dies and you can't get parts.

JohnW

Post #29 by JohnW » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:36 pm

Same thing they did to Pete. [giggle

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post #30 by DenBen » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:41 pm

Pete is using Windows 8.1, is he not?

JohnW

Post #31 by JohnW » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:52 pm

Is he!!?? [2faint

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post #32 by DenBen » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:14 pm

Well, he was for awhile. He's also mentioned using IE11 during the fixing of the site from the crap that happened a few days ago.

JohnW

Post #33 by JohnW » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:24 pm

Well, isn't that a pip.

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post #34 by DenBen » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:38 am

pip?

JohnW

Post #35 by JohnW » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:04 am

Oh you youngsters. Same as saying "Isn't that great"

MadTrapper
Beginner
Beginner

Post #36 by MadTrapper » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:26 pm

XP was the last of the user operated Windows operating systems.

In Windows 7 I'm seeing folders being created all over the place with weirded-out multi-digit names that I as the system administrator (apparently in name only) can't open or delete.

I don't like the computer that I paid for being run from Redmond.

I expect that the "Big Brother from Redmond" paradigm shift will become more apparent as we (or rather you, I'm migrating to Linux SOON) move from Windows 10 > 11 > 12 ...

MadTrapper
Beginner
Beginner

Post #37 by MadTrapper » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:39 pm

[quote="DenBen"]I don't know what they ever did to you, but you sure have quite the axe to grind with MS.

It's your choice. Just don't blame them when you have problems or when your pc dies and you can't get parts.[/quote]

Nothing emotional or personal about this.

The discussion is all about pc hardware and software and not about any person or corporate entity doing anything to me or axes to grind or blaming anyone or anything for perceived or actual wrong doing.

Not trying to convince anyone of anything or turn anyone against Microsoft.

You don't have to agree with me and I don't have to agree with you and we don't have to go out behind the wood shed and duke it out.

Just a dispassionate sharing of observations, ideas and opinions.

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post #38 by DenBen » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:39 pm

[quote="MadTrapper"]XP was the last of the user operated Windows operating systems.

In Windows 7 I'm seeing folders being created all over the place with weirded-out multi-digit names that I as the system administrator (apparently in name only) can't open or delete.

I expect that the "Big Brother from Redmond" paradigm shift will become more apparent as we (or rather you, I'm migrating to Linux SOON) move from Windows 10 > 11 > 12 ...[/quote]

Those folders are in the root of the C Drive, correct? If so, those are temp folders that get created from updates that are getting "unpacked" before they get installed. After a couple of restarts, they normally can be deleted. Some will probably reappear again in a few days since Update Tuesday is only 2 days away.

We are allowed our opinions. When you said you were still using XP all I said was I hope you are protecting yourself properly from possible security issues and such. Wasn't looking to start an argument. I was just looking out for a fellow PC user. Trying to offer advice.

MadTrapper
Beginner
Beginner

Post #39 by MadTrapper » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:10 am

[quote="DenBen"][quote="MadTrapper"]XP was the last of the user operated Windows operating systems.

I expect that the "Big Brother from Redmond" paradigm shift will become more apparent as we (or rather you, I'm migrating to Linux SOON) move from Windows 10 > 11 > 12 ...[/quote]

Those folders are in the root of the C Drive, correct? If so, those are temp folders that get created from updates that are getting "unpacked" before they get installed. After a couple of restarts, they normally can be deleted. Some will probably reappear again in a few days since Update Tuesday is only 2 days away.

We are allowed our opinions. When you said you were still using XP all I said was I hope you are protecting yourself properly from possible security issues and such. Wasn't looking to start an argument. I was just looking out for a fellow PC user. Trying to offer advice.[/quote]

And I appreciate that sir.

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post #40 by DenBen » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:01 am

[like

Riskynet

Post #41 by Riskynet » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:14 am

[purse
Near North Photography

[b][url]https://www.facebook.com/nearnorthphotography[/url][/b]

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post #42 by DenBen » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:44 pm

And John or Cap isn't involved too. [teehee

Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post #43 by Budgetman » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:30 pm

[quote="DenBen"]Well, he was for awhile. He's also mentioned using IE11 during the fixing of the site from the crap that happened a few days ago.[/quote]
i haven't bothered fiddling with linux for a long while, been to lazy to log into it the way win 8.1 forces you to. tho my mom is running linux on her computer downstairs and isn't having an issue as there is no windows to bitch about linux
[watch
Image I say my opinion if its good bad or other, Just like you I have the right to voice it.
if you get paid minimum wage, it's like your boss saying i'd pay you less but its illegal
John Stalks me!!!!! [panic

MadTrapper
Beginner
Beginner

Post #44 by MadTrapper » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:33 pm

Then don't double-boot Linux and Windows 8.1 and just go with 200 proof Linux.

Once I install a copy of Redhat or SUSE Linux I won't be bothering with Microsoft Windows any more.

After that Microsoft can publish an upgrade version of Windows every month for all I care.

Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post #45 by Budgetman » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:56 pm

now i realize why i haven't been in linux mint for a while, like ubuntu, it refuses to do 5.1 sound over hdmi out of the box and i have been too lazy to search and fight with it for any sound in pulseaudio
[watch
Image I say my opinion if its good bad or other, Just like you I have the right to voice it.
if you get paid minimum wage, it's like your boss saying i'd pay you less but its illegal

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post #46 by DenBen » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:00 pm

My sound in Windows 8.1 works beautifully without having to hunt down any drivers. [whistle

Budgetman
Admin
Admin

Post #47 by Budgetman » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:40 am

oh the drivers are there Denben its just a pain to activate hdmi based ones.
[watch

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post #48 by DenBen » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:01 pm

[url]http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2485143,00.asp[/url]

It's official: Microsoft's Windows 10 will be available on July 29.

By the end of next month, Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users can upgrade to Windows 10 for free or buy a new PC with the new OS pre-installed.

The initial OS release will be limited to PCs and tablets. A Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices will vary by phone makers and carriers.

Starting today, those on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 will be able to reserve an upgrade via a prompt that should appear in the PC's taskbar. Click "Reserve your free upgrade" when it appears, add an email for confirmation, and you're all set. When it's ready, the upgrade will require 3GB of space.

Those who pick up a Windows 8.1 device before the end of July, meanwhile, can also take advantage of the gratis upgrade.

Redmond in September revealed the next version of Windows, jumping from 8.1 directly to 10. Earlier this year, the company highlighted some of the consumer features like Cortana on the desktop and the revamped Microsoft Edge browser.

"With Windows 10, we start delivering on our vision of more personal computing," Terry Myerson, Microsoft's executive vice president of operating systems, said in an announcement.

Designed to run on Redmond's "broadest device family ever," Windows 10 is compatible with Microsoft's PCs, tablets, phones, Internet of Things, Surface Hub, Xbox One, and HoloLens—"all working together to empower you to do great things," Myerson said.

This release marks the return of Microsoft's Start menu, and promises faster overall speed with a quick startup and resume. Windows 10 is also, as the tech giant boasted, "the most secure platform ever."

On July 29, users can start playing around with functions like Windows 10 Continuum to transition between laptop and tablet, and Windows Hello for a personalized greeting and no-password login.

And while Redmond has ditched its regular Patch Tuesday program, and has said that Windows 10 is the last major version of its operating system, the company promised "new innovations" over time. "Like Windows 10 itself, these updates will be free for the supported lifetime of your device," Myerson said.

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post #49 by DenBen » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:06 pm

I got that same prompt too today in Windows 8.1. The prompt will probably stay there until July 29. I responded to it and "reserved" my copy. (Silly, since it is a digital download....how will they run out???) :p

If you are happy with Windows 7. You don't have to do anything. It's something you can always do later, but the free upgrade will no longer be available on July 29th, 2016.

The message about "internet services fee" is for those folks who pay for everything they download or time spent. Also, those that have internet access through cellular networks, could pay extra if it goes over there allotted data usage plans.

It's up to you. There are lots of sites with Windows 10 info, showing screenshots and such right now and there will be more come the end of next month. You can always ask to be shown Windows 10 at Staples or Best Buy. They'll probably talk you into getting it and they'll do it for you for a price. You also might get to see it on a friend's PC.

Nothing wrong with Windows 7. It's support doesn't end until 2020.

Kramer
Donator
Donator

Here Are The Features Microsoft Is Cutting From Windows 10

Post #50 by Kramer » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:23 pm

Windows 10 is fast approaching and while there’s no immediate need to upgrade from 8.1, or even 7, odds are you’ll want to make the jump eventually. Before you do, you’d best check out the Windows 10 “feature deprecation section”, to make sure your favourite features aren’t being cut from the latest release.

It’s to be expected you’ll run into a few driver incompatibilities and unsupported hardware and software, but what can sometimes catch you off guard is when entire features are dropped from the core operating system.

Probably the biggest cut is Windows Media Center, but it’s not the only thing getting the boot. From Microsoft’s Windows 10 specification page:

Feature deprecation section:

[list]
  • If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.

Watching DVDs requires separate playback software

Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10.

Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.

Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts Games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” and “Microsoft Minesweeper.”

If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer’s website.

If you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your system, the OneDrive application is removed and replaced with the inbox version of OneDrive.

• [/list]

Nothing particularly drastic, though if you love desktop gadgets in Windows 7, you might want to think twice about upgrading to Windows 10 — at least until you find some replacements. I doubt the floppy drive thing will bother anyone… I expect more people will be put out by the loss of Solitaire.

[Microsoft via Neowin]

This post originally appeared on Gizmodo Australia on June 5th

http://gizmodo.com/here-are-the-features-microsoft-is-cutting-from-windows-1709512284
    Last edited by DenBen on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Social Media

Return to “Computers and cellphones”