Licence Bureau at Chamber office shutting down

Some Valuable Info
Head Honcho
Admin
Admin

Licence Bureau at Chamber office shutting down

Post by Head Honcho » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:06 pm

The Timmins Chamber of Commerce is shutting down its Service Ontario licence bureau for things like driver’s licences, licence plate stickers and Ontario health cards. The chamber said the local office will cease operations on August 30, 2018 due to a decline in demand.

“Under contract with the Ministry of Government Services, the Chamber has provided driver’s license and health card services at its 76 McIntyre Road location for much of the organization’s 69-year history,” said a news release from the chamber on Friday. However, a rise in the public use of online services and higher operational expenses have led to the difficult decision to scale back this component of the Chamber’s business, according to President Jamie Clarke.

~Timmins Press

Loco101

Re: Licence Bureau at Chamber office shutting down

Post by Loco101 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:42 am

It didn't make sense to have two Service Ontario locations. I support public employees and am glad that the remaining location is staffed by them. The Schumacher location was run by the chamber under contract who hired the employees who do not work directly for the government.

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post by DenBen » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:43 am

Do they still do them in Porcupine? I know the 101 mall looked after health cards at one time.

Head Honcho
Admin
Admin

Post by Head Honcho » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:17 pm

101 Mall location does it all. SoPo location does all driver's licence related things as well, not just testing. We will survive.

Loco101

Post by Loco101 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:40 am

I've done my drivers licence, health card and fishing licence at the 101 Mall location for years. There are people in Timmins who still think that the Schumacher location only does driver licensing and vehicles and that the 101 Mall location only does health cards.

DenBen
VIP
VIP

Post by DenBen » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:38 am

So a city the size of Timmins with it's 42,000 population had three locations for that stuff.

Windsor a city of 217,000 has, 3 locations to do that stuff.

Umm....something wrong there.

Loco101

Post by Loco101 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:45 pm

I don't think the DriveTest place in Porcupine has or has ever had full services for drivers licences. But then again, I always thought that place only does testing for obtaining or keeping a licence. So correct me if I'm wrong.

The Ontario Government Complex had a full Service Ontario counter until about 5-7 years ago. It was closed by the previous Liberal government during some budget cutting as it was deemed to be too close to the one in Timmins in the 101 Mall. The Schumacher location which by contracted out to the chamber of commerce started out as being only for licensing but later took on other government services (health cards, fishing licences). So I guess there were three locations for awhile.

Social Media